Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hebrews (The book, and the nation)

So unless something drastic comes up that changes my mind, my goal is to begin a study of the book of Hebrews. I have been kicking this idea around since the beginning of the week when my pastor brought us a very humbling, convicting, passionate, and awesome exposition of Hebrews 11.

The next day I was to meet up with a former student who is in a state of serious conviction. As I considered what passage God might use to help him in his quest, I turned to Heb 3. Such goodness!! So as I sat in the coffee shop waiting for my friend to arrive I began to read through the whole chapter to remind myself of the context. Sadly I didn't end up spending time with my friend that day, but i did end up reading from chapter 3 all the way into chapter 8. What amazing beauty and clarity is used by the author to show the identity of the Messiah. How well he must have known the Law and Prophets. It was clearly his meditation day and night.

Then another thought struck me. What about the Hebrews? I grew up mainly in fundamental/independent Baptist churches. I saw all the major Old Testament stories on the story boards. I knew that they were (past tense) the people of God. What about now? If God's plan doesn't involve the ethnic nation of Israel now, then why in the world do we have such an amazing book like Hebrews in the New Testament? The thought that kept coming up as i read that day was "This would be the perfect book to give to an Israeli who knows their Old Testament".

One thing that I try to teach all my students is: "Never allow your experience to help you interpret what the Bible has to say. Study the Truth first, and then allow that to shape your understandings and convictions." So the question that looms large as I begin this project is: "How wrong has my experience been, and what is the Truth about God's plan for people Israel (present/future tense)?

1 comment:

jim thompson said...

you aint kiddin bro. hebrews is such a kick in the teeth. i get to teach chapter 8 this sunday morning to the students at grace church. hek yeh. go sabres.