Friday, February 1, 2008

Well? Was it?



Oh yeah, that nagging question that we were left with when we talked about the humanity of Christ. Could Jesus, the incarnate God and human being, have sinned? Well first off, is this question even that big of a deal? I mean yeah, maybe if your some big headed, think glasses wearing, dead language speaking theologian. But what about you? or you? Yeah you guys, the normal, every day, run of the mill American Christian. Well consider the possible outcome of either answer.

1) YES! Well ok, that means when we read Heb 4, we can look and say; "Man he really does know what I am going through! But then again, what if he had sinned? Now I seriously cannot think of a more terrifying thought. Thats the end of everything as we know it! (REM is playing softly in the background for effect) Leaves a big question mark behind the word deity when you refer to Christ.

2) NO! Well ok, that makes me feel a ton better about whether or not the world as we know is simply going to cease to exist all of the sudden because Jesus finally gave in to some temptation. But then again, when I look at Heb 4 with this answer, it seems.... well... disingenuous doesn't it? Really? Tempted like me in every way? Right...

So this one seemingly small and theologically obscure question has some serious weight too it doesn't it? How do we answer it? Which one is right? They both have issues, serious draw-backs even. I think I might leave that answer for another day...

3 comments:

Nathan said...

You're like a really bad theology professor - all questions and absolutely no answers.

Dulos said...

Its called a hook... keeps ya coming back

jim thompson said...

ha. u guys are killin me. when shall we Wii?